Monday, March 24, 2008

Wash Me, and I'll Be Whiter Than Snow




ILUKO.COM - Magustoan a Pagpalpallailangan dagiti Pada a Nangisit ti Sikona


Ababa a SalaysaySarita

Ababa a Sarita

Salaysay

Ababa a Salaysay

Daniw

Nobela

Drama

Bukanegan

Damdamag

Dadduma pay

Amado I. Yoro Online


Wash Me, and I'll Be Whiter Than Snow

Leofina Jane Galleta
3/20/2008 9:47:50 AM


Psalm 51: 7:10-12

Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean;
wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.

Create in me a clean heart, O God,
and renew a right spirit within me.
Cast me not away from your presence,
and take not your Holy Spirit from me.
Restore to me the joy of your salvation,
and uphold me with a willing spirit.


Strange things happens, usually at our least expected moment. Each of us might have encountered events in the past where we came across circumstances and were caught unaware in the middle of a bizarre moment. Situations could range from really simple and ordinary, to something that is most bizarre to the point of being preposterous. In a realistic mode, there are some circumstances that are really pleasant and heaven sent. As to the latter scenario, we may consider situations wherein somebody came to our rescue in one way or another. Like maybe giving us a lift when we got stranded, lending us some coin when we need it for MRT ride, or simply by pointing the right direction when we got lost. On the other hand, there might be rare, audacious circumstances that would blow us away. One may find some staged scenario like this in some TV shows like NOYPI (for Filipino readers), and other reality-based programs.

However, what if the situation is too strange, like someone you really looked up to ask if you’ll allow him/her to wash your feet? What do you think would be your initial reaction? Would you dismiss the request and offer your services instead to wash his/her feet? Would you ask more than what he/she offers, like a helping you out for some time in a Jacuzzi or something? Would you ask for his/her reasons before making any decision? Or would you be faithful and trusting enough to give in to his/her wishes immediately?

In a Catholic-dominated country like the Philippines, today is the time for the “Washing of the Feet”, in connection to the observation of the season of Lent.

During an All-Staff Retreat for World Vision that I attended (before my resignation last January 2008). I was able to experienced an activity where we actually did the washing of the feet. The experience was truly an extra-ordinary one. It had been both liberating and binding. To be doing it with a group of people that I considered as my family, with colleagues that ranked from the utility to the executives, it was a humbling experience and at the same time, it bridges the gaps and washed divisions and marks of differences and/or disagreements in the past. Somehow, the activity unified and strengthened us all, with the bind of love and acceptance with one another’s shortcomings and weaknesses. The spirit of service and sharing oneself to others wholeheartedly was so overwhelming that I cried the whole time.

When my colleague lifted my feet for her to wash, the feeling of gratitude, shame, love, and the spirit of sharing enveloped my heart. As I watched her slowly and delicately do the process of pouring water and lightly scrubbing my feet to remove all the dirt that might have gathered in there, I felt so small and undeserving. My shortcomings and weaknesses flashed into my mind and the feeling of being unclean made me feel unworthy and full of repentance. There was that urge to pull back and ask her to stop so that I could do it myself, but I realized that my desire to pull back was born from being self righteous and prideful, with an attempt to hide my unclean feet from her eyes. It was like my sins that I sometimes try to hide from my Father’s eyes when I tried to find righteous reasons in my mind instead of going to Him for his grace and forgiveness..

As I took my turn in washing the feet of another colleague, I realized how it feels to serve without any other reason than the desire to do so. I felt how it was to love without any other reason that Love itself. My heart was overwhelmed with realizations while doing this simple act. I realized how deep and limitless the love of God for us. Such dedication and untiring efforts to stir us to become clean… And I cried for my moments of weakness, for those moments that I doubted and almost lost hope, for those times that my faith wavered, for those times that I gave in to bitterness and selfishness.

With this experience, I saw humility, service and generosity in different light, in a way that is unconditional, freely given with a sincere heart. Sure, it must be easier said than done, but believe me when I say that there’s really a “Joy in Suffering.”



©2008leofinajanegalleta



OTHER SITE FOR THIS ARTICLE:

SHADOWS OF SCRIBBLES




Login to Provide Feedback


Inspired: http://drippingmind.wordpress.com/


 

No comments: